Friday, November 03, 2006

Survey #1: The 30-Day Novel

What do you think when you learn that A. Writer's latest novel was written in a month?

A. "Wow! That writer must have an extraordinary gift! We must critically re-examine his work after he dies, and name a university after him."

B. "Gosh, that's pretty quick, but way outside the record. Famous Dead Guy could write a novel a week."

C. "So fscking what. I have no standards. Give me guns and aliens and gratuitous sex."

D. "Gee, I wonder if it would've been better, with a little more time, or is that the best they can do? I'll buy it if the cover's pretty and there are no new populist bestsellers this week."

E. "Sounds like a rushed first-draft piece of shit. Did they bother to finish the sentence they were on? Even book-of-the-movie writers get six weeks. Hope they put more effort into their resume."